Guyana Resource Center
Set like a gem in the crown of South America, nestled on the North-Eastern shoulder, defying the raging Atlantic Ocean, Guyana's many waterways reflect the source of it's name "The Land of Many Waters"
Image hosting by Photobucket Image hosting by PhotobucketKaieteur Falls, the world's highest single drop waterfall (741 feet).Image hosting by Photobucket Image hosting by Photobucket

Lynear Johnson, the teenager who travelled to the US for treatment of skin cancer, is out of hospital and doing very well, according to her mother Vanessa Bellamy, who said her daughter still has to make regular checks with the doctors.

Speaking to Stabroek News on Thursday by telephone from Brooklyn, Bellamy said that her daughter was discharged from the hospital last week Friday.

While she was speaking with this newspaper, music could be heard in the background and Bellamy said it was her daughter relaxing and listening to music, something she was unable to do for more than a year.

The cancer had almost taken over the young woman's face but Bellamy said her daughter's face was reconstructed after doctors grafted skin from other parts of her body to help repair the damage done.

She said the bandage, which Lynear has been living with for a number of months, has finally been taken off and while there are scars, "it does not look bad at all."

More importantly the young woman is no longer suffering from any pain and she is able to eat comfortably.

"Every minute she want something to eat. Is like she making up for all them time she couldn't eat," her mother said.

She is expected to return to the hospital to see the doctor and Bellamy said she would have to be under observation for quite sometime to ensure that the cancer does not attack again.

The two left for the US on March 22 and the young woman underwent several operations at the Brooklyn Hospital, sponsored by the New York-based Health and Education Reform for Guyana.

Johnson, who is an albino, had been battling with the cancer for almost two years. She had travelled to Trinidad along with her mother in January after a public-spirited citizen donated some money for her treatment and the Ministry of Health also pitched in.

However, in Trinidad the doctors said the cancer had gone too far and suggested she should travel to the US.

They had a few weeks of waiting after their return to Guyana before they secured a sponsor for the treatment.