Guyana Resource Center
Set like a gem in the crown of South America, nestled on the North-Eastern shoulder, defying the raging Atlantic Ocean, Guyana's many waterways reflect the source of it's name "The Land of Many Waters"
Image hosting by Photobucket Image hosting by PhotobucketKaieteur Falls, the world's highest single drop waterfall (741 feet).Image hosting by Photobucket Image hosting by Photobucket
Google
Tuesday, April 25, 2006
Dear Editor,
I have no words with which to express my sympathy for the few remaining members of the family of the Honourable Minister Satyadeo Sawh and therefore will not try. I will say to you only, “May God dry your tears and may the memory of your loved ones live forever in your hearts.
My sympathy goes out likewise to the Government and people of Guyana who have lost one of their most competent and much needed servants. Also to my very darkskinned Uncle Gordon, (I have a lot of uncles, including some I’ve never seen, and they come in just about every shade there is) who worked as Minister Sawh’s driver after retiring from the Guyana Police Force, I’m sending you a figurative hug here.
My uncle served the Minister not because he needed the money since he has a family business but because he truly enjoyed the work and liked being treated as an equal and member of the family by a worthy Minister of Government. He is now filled with grief and guilt because he did not stay just a few minutes longer after taking home the Minister and his family.
I hope you will all forgive me if I relate the following story which I have heard from a very reliable source – a new friend called Joseph of my neighbourhood corner shop. (My black grandfather was a village grocer and he allowed me to be his business consultant even though I couldn’t see over the counter so I have a bit of an affinity for small shops.)
My new friend Joseph says that he has it from another reliable source that the other Ministers of Government are now using the reliable “eeny meeny miney mo” method to determine who will next have the chance to enter the promised land.
Joseph says that His Excellency the President has regrettably realized that his duty as a good captain is to be the last to leave, while The Honourable Minister of Home Affairs says she has been told by her guardian, the ghost of Dr. Cheddi, that she cannot desert her position of responsibility.
Joseph further related that The Minister of Foreign Trade expressed the hope that his sterling service will be recognized in the issuing of priority passes while Minister Jeffrey has proclaimed that this is no time for ethnic discrimination and the Commissioner of Police has vociferously argued that he has unfinished work to complete.
Joseph had no further information that he considered reliable enough to repeat.
Editor, since I have shared Joseph’s testimony, I would be grateful if you would permit me to utilize your worthy organ to ask a few questions of some other worthy persons.
First, I would like to ask my good friend Dr. Gibson, who was able to convince me seven years and two months ago that Indians were stockpiling weapons and targeting blacks to please explain to me, in layman’s terms, why these weapons are now being turned against Indians. What went wrong?
The last time that credible evidence was provided to me that Indians were stockpiling weapons I was about the size of an AK47. One of the large piles was shown to my red-nigger mother and she was allowed to share the information with her family, including those of her many brothers who had emerged very black due to an extended stay in the oven. Or so I learned when I eavesdropped. (Forgive me, I couldn’t yet read the newspapers and, since there was no TV, this was my only means of gaining information about the riots etc.)
The intention, it was explained, was not to intimidate her or her family since her black father was universally honoured by his village but just to keep her from being scared if she inadvertently came across the pile under the stage of the backdam village school where she taught. It was further reasonably explained that the pile of weapons was being kept in case they were needed for self-defence.
(Come to think of it has the search party checked under all school stages?)
Secondly, I would like to ask the only credible union leaders that I know, Messrs Garnett and Lewis, why the workers have not been called out to say “Enough is enough” on behalf of a good boss. Good bosses are hard to come by.
Thirdly, to the leader of the opposition I would ask why the black community has not been mobilized to parade with black flags to protest the assassination of an Indian man, who like any good Brahmin, treated all the blacks he came across with respect and honour. I apologize if this mobilization is already taking place but would wish to request that it is well publicized so that I can arrange my work to accommodate full participation.
And finally, to my ‘foster’ father (‘foster’ as far as anyone knows for sure that is) His Lordship the Bishop of Guyana, Bishop Randolph George:
“My Lord, when is the march against violent crime that is being organized by the Guyana Council of Churches scheduled to convene? I would hate to inadvertently miss it? I know you’d never forgive me if I did.”
Yours faithfully,
Elizabeth Alleyne